Sales automation is the mechanization of manual, time-consuming sales tasks using software, artificial intelligence (AI), and other digital tools. It aims to manage or own responsibilities that sales reps and managers do on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.
Sales process automation is the process of automating various steps in your sales process so that your sales reps can focus less on administrative tasks and more on connecting with and selling to your prospects and customers. It also ensures that your sales process is streamlined and uniform.
Sales automation benefits your business, sales team, and bottom line in multiple ways.
- Sales automation increases the productivity and performance of your sales reps.
- Sales automation turbocharges your efficiency.
- Sales automation improves the accuracy and accelerates your sales process.
- Sales automation ensures your sales leads don't fall through the cracks.
- Sales automation streamlines the quality of your sales tasks.
- Sales automation reduces response time which can increase customer satisfaction.
- Sales automation keeps sales data consistent across your sales organization.
- Sales automation allows efficient use of otherwise scarce resources (like a small sales team or budget).
The Danger of Sales Automation
But, like anything, sales automation can become too much of a good thing. You never want to automate every aspect of your sales process — because then it will feel completely robotic and soulless to prospects. As a human, you add critical and irreplaceable elements to your deals.
So, if you’re blasting out automated emails by the thousands or using an autodialer, you’ve crossed over to the dark side.
And beware, prospects don’t take kindly to being pushed through this type of machine. You’ll never get high conversion rates with these tactics, and worse, your company will earn an undesirable reputation.
Your team's sales process is an important asset. You've established it so that you have an iterative process for everyone to follow. A sales process also makes it easy for you to identify gaps to improve upon. Sales automation software only make your sales process more solid by streamlining the quality of certain tasks and freeing up time and energy to spend prospecting and nurturing leads.